Monday, February 06, 2006

a great day!

Hi, folks.

Well, today was a fabulous day.

First, I treated myself to a taxi instead of a combi to get to the orphanage. So I spent approximately a dollar and a half instead of twenty cents, but it was SO worth it. I arrived early and in peace, and all the animals I saw along the way were alive and walking around instead of hanging from ropes in the market. Then I got to change, hold and play with Heidy, one of the babies, all the while chatting with the girls.

I shared with them my idea of publishing a book of them and they were so excited to write the stories of their lives. So we have lots of work to do in the next 3 and 1/2 weeks, but it´s going to be great. I´m going to take lots of photos, and I´ve invited them to take photos, as well. I´ve invited them to include pictures, poems, stories, whatever they want, and I´ll work with them to collect, arrange, edit and publish. Terry, of Terry and Alison, of Tinkuy, is going to help, and he´s very talented in these areas! I´m thinking a version that can be completed here, so that every girl can have a copy, and possibly an additional edition when I return to the U.S. I´m hoping Ursula can help me translate the stories into English, so the second edition can be in Spanish and in English.

We did some English--learning the names for clothing, and then we had a party with the girls, the folks from Tinkuy, and the tutoras and director of Francisco Mayer. There were many speeches, and it was a lovely occasion. Several of the girls gave speeches, and it was an emotional time for all of us. Then we had snacks, provided by the Tinkuy folks, and dancing. It was great doing Indian (as in Delhi) dancing in Huancayo, Peru. Those girls can boogie!

After a few errands, I went to Tino´s house, and all the Tinkuy volunteers and I ate lunch together (thank you, Sonia!) and had a little teaching seminar. It was fabulous! They have so many great ideas, it was fun just to facilitate, and throw in an idea or two just to "stay in the game!"

Then, I caught a combi home (one taxi is enough for one day!), and taught English to Gisela, Jose, and Katya. We talked about the weekend and everyone´s activities. It was fun to kind of switch the tables a bit, and have them work to find words (instead of me ALWAYS struggling).

Then I received a care package from T--THANK YOU, THANK YOU--with some great stuff, including M&Ms--yum--and giant knitting needles, so I can knit a scarf for one of the girls at the Aldea. Then it was time for a little run around the neighborhood. As I arrived home, there was a group of young musicians "jamming" in the little park in front of the house. They were playing traditional Peruvian music, and it was fabulous just to sit and listen to them. Look for a photo soon!

After a nice, warm shower, here I am, feeling pretty darn good. Thanks to you all for all the good wishes and supportive messages. Without them (and you), it would be so much harder for this gringa to stay smiling!

Best,
K

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home