Sunday, January 22, 2006

an odd week and weekend

early this week i came down with an intestinal infection. yuck. i was a big baby, but my host family took fabulous care of me. there is some theory about "frio" and illness that i don´t understand, but i wasn´t allowed to drink cold liquids or eat cold food. after a lot of tea, antibiotics and loperamide, and a couple of days of rest, i was back among the living.

this weekend, my family took me to a pueblo and marci´s ancestral home. it was a great experience. we hiked up the fields (an unusual concept for most folks familiar with american farming) and along roads in the process of being cleared. we ate a great meal of soup, trout, potatoes and rice. i had a hilarious opportunity to fall down while helping chase a pig that had gotten loose.

today was a bit weird. i spent 12 hours finishing a rough draft for a book chapter. it was weird because i was living in spanish in the house, and thinking and writing in english in my room. my family was incredibly supportive, calling me for meals, and then sending me back to my room and "computadora" when the meal was over. i wasn´t even allowed to wash dishes!

now, though, i´m heading back home after sending off my draft to my fellow section members, with two cervezas to celebrate with the fam while i prepare for working with mis chicas tomorrow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home